- by Bold Commerce Collaborator
- 19 Aug 2019
Baked King Oyster Mushroom Calamari
It looks just like fried calamari but it's not 😋 . A super yummy way to cook king oyster mushrooms to make a vegan dish that tastes as good as it looks 🌿😍
- 3-4 large king oyster mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 small lemon
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Wash and slice the mushrooms crosswise into 1/8″ slices. Using a small round cutter, cut out a hole in the center to make a ring. Save the centers for some other use.
Combine the olive oil, lemon juice and a generous pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Add the mushroom rings and toss, leave to marinate for about 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mix together the water and flax meal in a small bowl and let stand for a few minutes until the mixture becomes slimy and somewhat sticky. In a separate plate or pan, combine the breadcrumbs, spices and salt to taste.
Dip a mushroom ring into the flax seed wash and then into the breadcrumbs, covering well. Place on a well-oiled baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake for 10 minutes, flip over the rings and bake another 5 minutes on the other side until crispy. Serve immediately. It’s good plain or with tartar sauce.