- by Bold Commerce Collaborator
- 28 Feb 2020
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Kale
- Kosher salt
- 3 large or 4 smaller bunches kale, any type (about 1½ pounds)
- 5 garlic cloves¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti, thick spaghetti, bucatini, or other long strand pasta
- Parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes (for serving)
- Flaky sea salt
Cook kale in boiling water until bright green and slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, transfer kale to a colander and rinse under cold water, tossing liquid.
Whack garlic with the side of a chef’s knife to crush. Heat ¼ cup oil in a large heavy pot over medium. Cook garlic, stirring occasionally about 3 minutes. Season very generously with black pepper and cook, smashing with a wooden spoon, until cloves break into rough pieces, soften, and look golden. Add kale to pot and cook, stirring often, until darkened in colour and very tender, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until very al dente.
Using tongs, add pasta to kale; splash in about 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Cook, tossing and adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed, until sauce lightly coats pasta, about 2 minutes..