- by Bold Commerce Collaborator
- 11 Jan 2019
Chocolate & Beetroot Brownies
The healthy sweet life!
We found a beetroot recipe on www.sweetpotatosoul.com and made some adjustments.
Here's our take on it! Enjoy :)
If you cannot find VeganEgg try it with 4 tbsp ground flax seed and ½ cup water to make a big vegan flax "egg".
- 2 beets (1/2 lb), boiled for 45 minutes until tender
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup VeganEgg powder or 4tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 cups ice cold water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vegan white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° then grease and flour a baking dish (9x14" or 10x15”)
- Melt the chocolate chips and vegan butter in a double boiler, and whisk until creamy.
- Remove it from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Peel the beets and chop.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Place the beets into a food processor and blend until almost pureed. Set aside.
- Place the VeganEgg powder in a large mixing bowl or mixer and add the cold water. Whisk vigorously until creamy and no lumps remain.
- Beat in the sugar and vanilla.
- Add the melted beets and chocolate, and continue to whisk until creamy.
- Slowly stir in the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, then bake for 55 minutes.
- A toothpick inserted after you remove it from the oven may come out still slightly wet. Allow the brownies at least 30 minutes to cool before cutting. They’re best when cooled completely, for up to an hour before serving.
TIP: We added some nuts covered in beetroot juice to give them the pink colour too! :)