- by Bold Commerce Collaborator
- 22 Nov 2018
Greek Organic Spinach Pie - Spanakopita
Use our organic spinach for the Greek Spinach Pie! Veggies Used: spinach or chard, spring onion, white onion Snack or Main dish Serves 4-6
- 2 bunches (about 2kg) spinach (or you could use chard), shredded and washed
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 green spring onions, thinly sliced
- 400g Greek feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill / or 1 heaped tsp of dried dill weed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- pinch of high mineral salt to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Brush an ovenproof dish with unscented coconut oil or rice bran oil to grease
3. Place half the spinach in a frying pan and sautee for a few minutes until it wilts. Repeat with other half
4. Heat 1 TBS oil in the frying pan over low- medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook - stir until soft.
5. Use your hands to squeeze excess liquid from spinach. Combine spinach, onion mixture, spring onions, feta, dill, lemon, all other seasonings (not the pepper) and egg in a large bowl. Mix well.
6. Place filo sheets on a clean surface. Brush 1 filo sheet with some of the remaining olive oil. Top with another sheet and brush with oil. Top with another sheet, then fold the filo stack in half crossways. Repeat with remaining filo and half the remaining oil to form a second stack. Fold the filo stack in half crossways. Line the prepared dish with one of the filo stacks.
7. Spoon the spinach mixture into the dish and smooth the top surface with a spoon.
8. Top with remaining filo and fold edges over and press down firmly to enclose filling.
9. Use a small sharp knife to score the top of the filo - make any shape you like! Brush with remaining olive oil. Dust with cracked black pepper.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes. Cut into slices to serve.
- serve with a fresh mixed leaf salad and fresh tomatoes for a perfect meal! Enjoy!